Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade from java sdk 7 to 8 (JamesCherrill will be pleased,lol!) and I was just wondering if there is anything I need to be careful with, especially in eclipse. I will start first with Windows, and then do the same thing in Ubuntu.
My eclipse seems to be configured to use Java 7, so presumably I will have to change the options in there too, does anybody know exactly what needs to be changed?
Generally speaking I suppose it's just a matter of downloading the sdk 8 and installing it and changing a few options in Eclipse, right?

Well done!
In general, yes, install the latest SDK and wait for everything to re-build, then change the settings for each project where you want to use JDK 8 features. At least yur JKD7 code will still compile & run using Java 7 rules & syntax, but without the unfixed bugs in JDK.JRE7

Your unit tests should be able to tell you whether something in the application was 'impacted' on the migration to the new version.

(JamesCherrill will be pleased,lol!)

:)
It's nothing to do with whether I (or anyone else) will be pleased. It's more a question of self-preservation

Auto-update Notice and End of Public Updates for Oracle JDK 7
As outlined in the Oracle JDK Support Roadmap, after April 2015, Oracle will not post further updates of Java SE 7 to its public download sites. Customers who need continued access to critical bug fixes and security fixes as well as general maintenance for Java SE 7 or older versions can get long term support through Oracle Java SE Support.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So unless you want to pay for long term support it's just you against the hackers and virus merchants, all on your own.

Until you get Java 8.....

Edited 3 Months Ago by JamesCherrill

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.