hello guys, super noob here!
id want to build a function which is adding number in array, and if number is out of expect, its return to main,
else, it go to info_add function.
its work fine if i type less than 3.
...but seems like adding number isnt work at all. i tryed to tpey 2 and 2 again. My expect is: i[1]'s value is 4 and function will stop,
but value wasnt increase at all.
i looking for what is cause, and figured out this isnt work at all.

i[a] += b;

any help?
Thanks and happy holiday!

void info_add();
void menu_start();
void info_check();
static int b,d,i[3]={0,};
void main(){
    info_check();
}

void info_check(){

printf("enter a number :");
scanf("%d", &a);
printf("enter b number :");
scanf("%d", &b);
printf("insert %d value in i[%d]\n",b,i[a]); //debug
i[a] += b;
    if (i[a] > 3) {
        printf("cant be add more than 3");
        menu_start();  // returning to menu
    }
else info_add();
}
Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Months
Discussion Span
Last Post by ChangWon

seems like my poor english is not understandable for you guys;
i want to stop add after array[3] as you said james, but this code isnt work at all. if i tryed to type value at first, its works exactly what i want, but when i type again, this array seems doesnt add value that i was typed value first.
and here i ask is why is this array didnt add value properly? did i typed wrong? or what?

Thanks

OK, don't worry about your English - we will communicate somehow!

Perhaps you are re-initiasing the array somewhere? Maybe the problem is in info_add? Without all the code it's hard to see.

Why you don't use an for loop for add values to the array,after that you can use your if to stop if the user add more than 3 values to the array ?

i want to stop add after array[3]

3 is an illegal index for your array, which is size 3, which means that the legal indexes are 0, 1, and 2 given line 4 above. a is the index, you have no check in place to make sure it is 0, 1, or 2, and it appears you are confusing the index a with the array value i[a] in line 16. Note that line 16 could crash the program if a is less than 0 or greater than 2. You also do not declare the variable a in the code that you showed. I assume it's above line 11, which isn't shown, but that's a guess.

As far as "adding", you appear to be adding on line 17, but there's another reference to "adding" on line 22. Not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I changed your program a little to try to (hopefully) make things a little clearer. I either guessed right or wrong as far as the goal. You can either see the code and say "Ah, that's what I meant" or "No, that's not what I meant" and change it and hopefully it will be easier to correct so everything's clear. Note that I didn't change any of the variable NAMES, though you might want to consider making them more descriptive.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void info_add();
void menu_start();
void info_check();
static int b,d,i[3]={0};

int main()
{
    info_check();
    return 0;
}

void info_check()
{
    int a;
    printf("enter an array index (0 - 2) :");
    scanf("%d", &a);
    if(a < 0 || a >= 3)
    {
        printf("Illegal index: %d.  Index must be >= 0 and < 3.  Exiting program.\n", a);
        exit(0);
    }    
    printf("Enter a value to add to i[%d]: ", a);
    scanf("%d", &b);
    i[a] += b;
    printf("adding %d to i[%d]. i[%d] is now %d\n", b, a, a, i[a]); //debug

if (i[a] > 3) 
    {
        printf("i[%d] can't be add more than 3\n", a);
        menu_start();  // returning to menu
    }
    else
    {
        info_add();
    }        
}

void info_add()
{
}

void menu_start()
{
}

Thankyou very much! AssertNull! and Phoxlox!
this is exactly what i looking for!
indeed this code is much clearly and easy!
HAPPY HOLIDAY FOLKS!!!

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.