Hi all.

I'm reading about SOLID way of coding and am only looking at single Responsibility of objects (S).

I will be creating a string helper class and I'm wondering if I have two methods or more in the class, if I am still adhereing to SR if the methods only have one responsibility or is it that I should have two helper classes each with only on method?

for example

class String
{
    public string Between(string src, string start, string end)
    {
        //some code to return a string from src
    }

public string Outside(string src, string target)
    {
        //some code to return a string from src
    }
}

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Suzie999

Contributors
Replies
Views
1 Month
Discussion Span
Last Post by JamesCherrill
Featured Replies
  • Every rule has its exceptions, and this is one. It's very common that you end up with a bag full of assorted utility methods that are low-level things used in various different parts of your system. A literal interpretation of SOLID says you should put each one in a different … Read More

Every rule has its exceptions, and this is one. It's very common that you end up with a bag full of assorted utility methods that are low-level things used in various different parts of your system. A literal interpretation of SOLID says you should put each one in a different class, but all that achieves is extra clutter in your name spaces.
Although I am a total believer in SOLID, I still think it's OK to have a class that holds miscellaneous utility methods that belong together because of some similarity of use and do not belong anywhere else.
SOLID exists for one reason only - to make code easier to maintain. The question to ask youself is "by deviating from the strict defintion of SOLID am I improving or harming the maintainability of my code?".

I was thinking along similar lines, thanks.

I have a WebTools class with many helper method I am going to adapt solid principles, three of them retrieve the source code of a web page but in different fashions, so I believe I can contain those 3 in same class. While they might rely on different parts of dot net, none rely on each other. So although there are 3 methods, the class is only responsible for returning a web page as a string.

That makes total sense to me. You may also find that those 3 methods contain some functionality that is common to all 3 and which can therefore be factored out into shared methods - but this only works cleanly when they are all in the same class.

Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.