i have vb.net windows app and i can insert data to acomputer where sqlserver is installed in the same lan but could not connect from another network(different lan)to the computer.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Sounds right. You'll have to host the sqlserver where all can access. It's that simple.

I'm a newbie for sql server, but I did the installation yesterday. After several errors from a .net application another pc in the home group, a list box is populated. The listbox data is retrieved from a sql server database.
I had to configure windows firewall advanced settings to let sqlserver.exe pass through Click Here .
I dissabled sql server express services and enabled sql server services, sql server browser (not sure if this last one is necesary) and protocols (Click Here)
Lastly, I remember to enable both windows and sql server authentications (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/change-server-authentication-mode).
So, after all that the connection string became for me:
Server=servername;Database=myDataBase;User Id=sa;Password=password;
and voila!

commented: Relevant and really helpfu. Excellent contribution.l +15
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.