Hello,

I am trying to write a program to display system information. I have that part down. I am using a listbox, so that I can have different lines, for example:

ListBox1.Items.Add("Computer Name: " & My.User.Name)
        ListBox1.Items.Add("OS Version:" & My.Computer.Info.OSVersion)

I am running into problems when I try to print. I have added the following code, per an instruction manual:

Private printpagesettings As New PageSettings
    Private stringtoprint As String
    Private printfont As New Font("Arial", 10)

and

Private Sub PrintInformationToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles PrintInformationToolStripMenuItem.Click
        Try
            ListBox1.SelectedItems.ToString()
            PrintDocument1.DefaultPageSettings = printpagesettings
            stringtoprint = ListBox1.SelectedItems.ToString
            PrintDialog1.Document = PrintDocument1
            Dim result As DialogResult = PrintDialog1.ShowDialog
            If result = DialogResult.OK Then
                PrintDocument1.Print()
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Sub

However, when I go to print, and select both values from my list box, it will only print one line, not both. Any thoughts would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi

in the last sectio where you try to print, you set: stringtoprint = ListBox1.SelectedItems.ToString

It is going to return only the selected item. You have to add all the items first, something like this:

Dim listbox_items As Integer = ListBox1.Items.Count()
        Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To listbox_items - 1
            Dim stringtorpint As String
            stringtorpint &= ListBox1.Items.Item(i)
        Next

You might have to add sometyhing else in between (like a CR or something) so it will print every item in a different line.

Hope it helps.

Hey, sorry to bug you again, but it didn't work. I tried adding it to the PrintInformationToolStripMenuItem_Click sub, but it didn't work. All my printer did was send a blank page through. If I declair anything in your code inside of the try tags, then the rest of the print code won't recognize those declairations. Now even when I remove the new code, I'm getting a blank page. Totally confused right now! :) Thanks so much!!!

Ok, now I changed you line of code:

stringtoprint = ListBox1.Items.Item(i)

to:

stringtoprint = ListBox1.Items.Item(i) - 1

Now I don't get an error that says invalid value="3" for type 'index'. I instead get an error that says that conversion from string ="os name: windows x" to type 'double' is not valid. I don't have dobule declaired anywhere, so I don't know why it is using double. I am farther than I was, though. Thanks!

Hi,

Try using ListBox1.Items.Text to get all the listbox items ina single string separated by CRLF.

Loren Soth

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.