Write an assembly program that reads two integers from the user, X and Y, then stores the largest input into a variable called L. The program should show prompts to tell the user to enter the two numbers.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Show us what you already have. We will help. A homework assignment doesn't count as such.

OMG, 68K assembler. I think it has been about 30 years since I last built 68K assembly code. They used to build custom servers using the 68K chip at Fermi National Lab. Then they migrated to IBM gear, and finally they are using off-the-shelf X86_64 Linux (Scientific Linux and Fermi Linux) gear. They have 1000s of those suckers to analyze the zetabytes of data they accumulate from the accelerator runs.

Anyway, this should not be a difficult problem to solve. What are you using for your ASM-68K manual?

@rubberman. Long ago, we used the 2500AD C compilers. Even then the assembler was free but I knew better than to let the staff slug it out on assembler. What we had to do wasn't that tight on CPU use so a lot of us learned C way back when.

@rproffitt - we onlly used the assembler for very low-level hardware controls. Most code was K&R C.

@rubberman. Similar stories here. K$R (intentional) was preferred later on. AD2500 was as you can imagine cheaper back then.

The pinacle of my 68K work was both hardware (single board designs) as well as software. As the SBD engineer I wanted the programmers to feel at ease with the new board so my package included getting the board up and one of the usual monitors installed so we could poke around and do minor board testing.

My last 68K SBD was based on the MC68360 with a trio of DSPs. Today I doubt anyone would build such a beast. It ran PSOS. The DSPs were a mix of assembler for the heavy lifting and a C skeleton to provide a fairly easy system to work with.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.