I've created the following series of If statements that are totally disfunctional. I'm thinking it has to do with my lack of understanding between a function and a statement. (I'm an old mainframe programmer and sometimes have difficulties crossing over)
Even though when I do a watch on the fields, the values are what I expect, the if statement doesn't perform the Then... and the Else on the 3rd errors out.

Here's the code I'm trying to get working:

Public Function Getareaname(flname As String) As String
Dim fposn As Long, i As Integer
    Dim fName As String
    Dim tmpname As String
fName = "d:\getarea"
    fposn = 11
    For i = 1 To Len(flname)
        If Mid(flname, i, 2) = "//" Then GoTo skipnext
        If Mid(flname, i, 2) = "u:" Then GoTo skiplev
        If Mid(flname, i, 1) = "/" Then Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = "\" Else: Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = Mid(flname, i)
        fposn = fposn + 1
skipnext:
    Next i
    Getareaname = fName

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I've created the following series of If statements that are totally disfunctional. I'm thinking it has to do with my lack of understanding between a function and a statement. (I'm an old mainframe programmer and sometimes have difficulties crossing over)
Even though when I do a watch on the fields, the values are what I expect, the if statement doesn't perform the Then... and the Else on the 3rd errors out.

I see 3 if statements. Can you be less vague? The way you phrased this you could be talking about eny one of them. And what does errors out mean?

... Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = Mid(flname, i)

Are you trying to load multiple characters into one character here? I'm not sure but I believe you might need to rethink this command.

Thank you for responding.

I see 3 if statements. Can you be less vague? The way you phrased this you could be talking about eny one of them. And what does errors out mean?

All 3 are having a problem. for instance, in debug mode I see that the first IF statement value is indeed "//", but it doesn't execute the goto, but goes on to the next IF. The last IF, goes into the ELSE: even though it's value is "/" When the Else is executed it jumps to my error routine which I haven't coded and therefore I don't know what the error is.

... Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = Mid(flname, i)

Are you trying to load multiple characters into one character here? I'm not sure but I believe you might need to rethink this command.

No, I've just tried a number of different ways of coding this command I originally had Mid(flname,i,1).

Try using msgbox's at the critical portions of the code to determine that the values are right. The reason I say this, is because it's been my experience that VB's IDE doesn't do a very good job of changing variable values in the IDE. So, for example, you could do this:

ublic Function Getareaname(flname As String) As String
Dim fposn As Long, i As Integer
    Dim fName As String
    Dim tmpname As String
    fposn = 11
    msgbox "starting loop"
    For i = 1 To Len(flname)
        msgbox "at first if"
        If Mid(flname, i, 2) = "//" Then GoTo skipnext
        msgbox "value is: " & mid(flname, i, 2)
        If Mid(flname, i, 2) = "u:" Then GoTo skiplev
        If Mid(flname, i, 1) = "/" Then Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = "\" Else: Mid(fName, fposn, 1) = Mid(flname, i)
        fposn = fposn + 1
skipnext:
    msgbox "at skip next"
    Next i
    Getareaname = fName

You can add and remove msgbox's as necessary to help trace variables through your code, and figure out where it's going wrong. If you could attach a copy of the file you are passing to this function (or an example of it) then I can try to trace it myself, but since I don't know the layout inside of the file, it makes testing your function a little more difficult.

I'm on my way to success. Thank you! My big problem that stopped my code from running was with this statement.

This defined the length of fName as 10 and I was trying to write to position 11 on.

I still don't know why the IF statements aren't working, but I gotta go now. I'll update you in the morning.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.