i dont know exactly why constructors are being used, it is used in what purpose?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>i dont know exactly why constructors are being used
Not using a constructor is akin to a restaurant giving you a glass without the drink. In the simplest manner, constructors guarantee that your object is created with predictable data for the methods to work with.

sounds like he hasn't covered objects yet in class. Here's an example where a constructor takes in 1 string.

MyClass person = new MyClass("name");

The object "person" now has an attribute already set to that string. Without a constructor, you would have to do this:

MyClass person = new MyClass();
person.setName("name");

sounds like he hasn't covered objects yet in class. Here's an example where a constructor takes in 1 string.

MyClass person = new MyClass("name");

The object "person" now has an attribute already set to that string. Without a constructor, you would have to do this:

MyClass person = new MyClass();
person.setName("name");

>sounds like he hasn't covered objects yet
Right. So giving an example that uses objects, constructors, new, methods, and arguments, and fails to explain what's meant by object, string, and attribute is soooo informative. :rolleyes:

oops:cheesy:

when i learned about objects, i was told what they were but never understood it until i saw code, but thats just how i learn. seeing code and figuring it out rather than listening to what it is. I wrote a document awhile ago about what objects are and how to get started with java programming using BlueJ. The article's website isn't online anymore, but I can try to locate it later for you.

Constructors simply initialize your program ... intialize means that what do you want your program to do automatically when it starts ... for example if you make a GUI (Graphical User Interface) you'll want your program to display the window and all the buttons and fields etc when the program starts ... so you'll write all these in your constructor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.