I've just bought a copy of Borland C++ V.6 personal, for the purposes of compiling/'single stepping' my C code for college work. When I click the right pointing green arrow, the code compiles, (HelloWorld!) but trying to single step through the code or get an executable isn't obvious. Trying to step through code brings up an ASM listing. I'm simply looking for a line-trace and the ability to run the code from even the command line to check performance expectations.

I'd be pleased for any help I can get, as the Borland site(s) is really almost idiotic offering registration only up to V.5, and no sign of technical support.

Best wishes,
Joe Garvey Joe@GarveyDesign.com

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

When you bought the software did it come with any sort of readme or manual? I would find it hard to believe a company like Borland would have no documentation on how to use their software. As for online, I can't seem to find anything either but check your install folder for a help file.

look at the menu options -- there is probably an option to compile for release or debug. You arle probably compiling for relase, which does not contain the information needed for you to single-step through the program.

When you bought the software did it come with any sort of readme or manual? I would find it hard to believe a company like Borland would have no documentation on how to use their software. As for online, I can't seem to find anything either but check your install folder for a help file.

As you advised, I checked the ...\programFiles\Borland\etc for any kind of help file, but there seems to be nothing on C or Compiling. I've sent a FAX request to Borland (UK) Ltd reqesting data. The booklet which came with the Borland disk, in a brown Borland box from Amazon.co.uk is only about 40 pages, and much of that is to do with the Enterprize and Professional editions, I bought the Personal edition for college work.

If you need any help with website video, in thanks for your efforts, take a look a www.WebsitesVideos.com and if you've any questions, I'd be pleased to answer.
Regards, Joe Garvey, Cork City, Ireland.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.