I seem to have an intermittent issue with the following code segment. I am installing an application which has an associated excel add in which I register and then run the on open macro. The formula then calls one of the functions from the add-in.

The script fails at the RegisterXLL step, reporting "AttributeError: Excel.Application.RegisterXLL", and then after failing for a number of times it will succeed until I reboot after which time it will commence failing again for a number of iterations following which it will work.

If I run the script and let it fail and then comment out the install step the script works.

This is running on both Win2K and WinXP o/s and both Excel 2000 and 2003. Any ideas gratefully received.

import os
from win32com.client import Dispatch
os.system (install "setup.exe" in silent mode)
xlApp = Dispatch("Excel.Application")
xlApp.RegisterXLL(xll)
xlApp.Visible = 1
wb=xlApp.Workbooks.Add()
xlApp.Workbooks.Open(xla).RunAutoMacros(1)
xlApp.ActiveSheet.Cells(1,1).Formula = '=xversion()'
wb.Close(SaveChanges=0)
xlApp.Quit()
xlApp.Visible = 0
del xlApp
os.system (uninstall "setup.exe" in silent mode)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Where does the variable xll come from?

xll is the full path of the xll file and xla is the full path of the xla file.

I am a little confused though, even with the xlApp.Quit() and del xlApp there is still an excel.exe visible in the taks manager. If this is running before the script starts then it works, if it is not then it fails.

Where does the variable xll come from?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.