Hey folks, I thought that recently I transitioned form NOOB to novice until I had this question. Oh, well.

Why can't I create an executable in Visual Studio 2005? I have my Win32 project code debugged and it builds a library object file, not .exe. I am in release mode and am checking the release folder of my project. Further, in the build options, there is no option to build myproject.exe.

Should I have created a console application instead?

Sincerely,

feeling like superNOOB;)

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hey folks, I thought that recently I transitioned form NOOB to novice until I had this question. Oh, well.

Why can't I create an executable in Visual Studio 2005? I have my Win32 project code debugged and it builds a library object file, not .exe. I am in release mode and am checking the release folder of my project. Further, in the build options, there is no option to build myproject.exe.

Should I have created a console application instead?

Sincerely,

feeling like superNOOB;)

What project type did you choose? Oh, and noob is a mean term for people who refuse to learn. I don't think you fall under that category, so there's no way you could be one. :)

Thanks for the kind vote of confidence. My project is based on the "Win 32 application" template and C++. Is that enough info to help?

go project - rebuild all

then check the bin directory in the solution

There is no BIN directory in my solution area. I checked the BIN directories in program files as well, no such directory. I also did a file search from the start menu for executables in both My documents and the program files location - is not there.

Folks, an update: I was exepecting a .exe file and instead its outputing a .lib file. I feel I am missing a concept here.

Can you post the source code you're trying to compile?

Otherwise it should just be a simple switch or something. Perhaps you're just looking in the wrong directory.

Well, it looks like in Project-->Properties-->Project Configuration-->Configuration type I (or the program) had selected (.lib). In the drop down menu I just changed it to (.exe) for both debug and release configs. Now I am getting new errors in debug and will address them. My question is why did it select .lib ? Was that because of the Win32 app template I chose in the beginning?

Thanks

have you installed the platform SDK?

Yes. It built test apps for Visual Studio Express - no problem. Then I upgraded to VS standard. As far as I know the SDK install went well I made a few executables on the express.

Lol check my quote

>Lol check my quote

Tell me if I missed something, but what exactly was the point of your post? I can't find your "quote" anywhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.