I ask this question because I want to try out some probability theories and I want to get as close as possible to randomness. What my instinct tells me is that we cannot fabricate any function that is perfectly random, because we are in the first place defining an algorithm for it to work on.

In that case, I am seeking mathematical proof why perfectly random functions cannot exist?

Thanks,
Abhinav

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by abhinav.sharma

I guess that's why we call them pseudo random functions. Oh boy, the more I think of this, the more my head is getting twisted.

Anyway, thanks, but I'm still looking for the mathematical proof, although I'm certain it exists, if someone finds it do let me know.

You can't prove something is a random sequence, but you can apply a number of tests to see how random it might be.

The Mersenne_twister seems to be the usual choice for anyone wanting good random data for statistical purposes.

If you want random data for crypto, your best bet is something based on machine entropy, such as /dev/random

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.