i want to connect to a sql server running on another xp computer. i have made the sql connection, sql data adapter (using Data controls, not connecting manually from code). i can fill the data adapter from the design view by right clicking on the adapter, Fill dataset and i see all the data in tables.

however when i need to fill the dataset at runtime i get a sql error. it seems i must connect from the same domain but i am running xp and i have failed to create domains (this is probably not possible without a 2000/2003 server)

Please help, i need to maintain sql database on a remote pc running XP and all applications access the sql server on the remote pc

please help

i am using a sql login

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

is the XP machine with Sql server running windows firewall? or Norton or <fill in firewall here> ?

If so you need to allow TCP/IP connections on port 1433

Also althoiugh you're using Sql Login, Sql Server iuses mixed mode by default (windows and sql login) meaning windows authentication is required for a login somehow that's where I get a bit vague as I havn't dealt with peer to peer networks for too long.

Thank a lot, now i have figured out that even if i want to connect to a sql server on my pc using a sql server login i cannot fill the dataset. the problem should also lie in the permissions set for an application (VB>NET ) to connect to SQl SERVER USING A SQL SERVER LOGIN.

IF I USE WINDOWS LOGIN I CAN CONNECT AND FILL THE DATASET EVEN ON THE REMOTE PC

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.