lucid_fox 0 Newbie Poster

Hello everyone, I am searching for help with a current problem involving MS Access and VB6.

My situation is this: I have a (rather large) program written in VB6 that uses an MS Access database. I have user-level security implemented on the database itself, which (though a not-often used capability) serves its purpose just fine. My issue is that I have changed the user-level permissions on a specific query in the database to allow third-party applications to access specific portions of my data. Users who install the newest version of my program are fine: the database is current, and the updated permissions on the query are correct.

The problem arises when users upgrade the program from a previous version; this is the case with nearly 95% of my customers. The query (which was still present in the older version) does not inherit the permissions of the new database. It is not feasible for every one of them to uninstall their current (out-dated) version of the application and start over with a clean install.

I assume that there is a way to access/modify user-level security on an MS Access database using DAO, or something of the nature, but I am unaware of the exact method.

If there is a way, DAO or otherwise, I would certainly like to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
MAB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.