Could you tell me the mean of this code?

while(1)
{  // do something

thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Its a way of starting an infinite loop which will be stopped using some means other than the condition inside the brackets next to while.

eg,

void somefunc()
{
    std::string str;
    while(true)
    {
        std::getline(cin, str);
        if( str == "quit" )
            return;
        else
            std::cout << "You Typed: " << str << std::endl;
    }
}

IMHO, this kind of idiom is seldom useful - unless you have some compelling reason to do otherwise, you should put an exit condition in the while brackets

Personally, I sometimes use while(1) or similar for things like menus, where choosing a menu option would cause the program to do something and then return to the menu. Then, if you want to exit the program, just return 0 to end the program:

int main()
{
   int bob;
   while(1)
   {
      cout << "Enter a number to display, or -1 to exit: ";
      cin >> bob;
      if(bob == -1) { return 0; }
      cout << bob << endl;
    }
}

However, some form of exit condition works better, like this:

int main()
{
    int bob;
   char exit = false;
   while(!exit)
   {
      if(bob == -1) { exit = true; }
      else { cout << bob << endl; }
    }
}

Of course, your program would probably be a little more complicated.

Edit: Ha, totally didn't see that it had already been answered. My bad!

Personally, I sometimes use while(1) or similar for things like menus, where choosing a menu option would cause the program to do something and then return to the menu. Then, if you want to exit the program, just return 0 to end the program:

int main()
{
   int bob;
   while(1)
   {
      cin >> bob;
      if(bob == -1) { return 0; }
      cout << bob << endl;
    }
}

This is generally not recommended, although it does work. The reason is you are burying the exit from the function/program in the middle of your code. This could be a maintenance nightmare for the team that inherits your program (or for you in 2 months :icon_wink:) It would be best to break out of the loop and return at the bottom of the function.

thank you for your helps :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.