Member Avatar for ak_2005

i tried to run a graphics program in my borland c++ 5.02 compiler..

i opened a new project, changed the platform to DOS(Standard) mode...

check marked the BGI option..

and added my program as a new node to my project..
and compiled it successfully but when i try to execute it, it gives me the following error..

"could not load tlink.exe"

i am now absolutely clueless and stranded..
i am able to go any further..
SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!!

i am on a Windows XP OS..

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm constantly amazed how people use an ancient compiler with an obsolete graphics library and expect it to work seamlessly with the latest operating system...

Can you compile programs that don't use the graphics package? Or do they also claim "could not load tlink.exe". I doubt it's because of BGI. It sounds like your compiler isn't set up properly.

I'm constantly amazed how people use an ancient compiler with an obsolete graphics library and expect it to work seamlessly with the latest operating system...

And -- with all due respect to one of our most knowledgeable members -- I'm constantly amazed that everyone thinks that just because a compiler is old it can't work! I can still build BGI programs with no problem with Turbo C++ 1.0 on up-to-date XP. Just did it without errors, warnings, nor glitches.

>I can still build BGI programs with no problem with Turbo C++ 1.0 on up-to-date XP.
"It works for me" has never been a good argument. A lot of the problems I've encountered on forums such as this one stem from trying to use an obsolete compiler on a modern OS.

Member Avatar for ak_2005

Can you compile programs that don't use the graphics package? Or do they also claim "could not load tlink.exe". I doubt it's because of BGI. It sounds like your compiler isn't set up properly.

yes my other programs are compiled successfully, but i am having problems onlhy with the graphics programs..

Try this suggestion:

I just had a problem with a user trying to run Borland C++ 5.02 on a Windows XP Pro computer in a non-privileged account. She would get a message box "Make failed", and in the Message window:

Could not load: tlink.exe

One of the reasons why this can happen is if BC5 is installed under "C:\Program Files". This can cause all sorts of problems. Instead just install it under C:\BC5.

However, there is a second problem: The IDE tries to create a file named C:\$$PIP$$.$$$ to communicate with tlink.exe, but non-privileged users are not allowed to create files in C:\! Here's the solution:

1. Create C:\$$PIP$$.$$$ from an Administrator account
2. Open Properties|Security, select the Users group and click the [Advanced] button.
3. Select the Users group again, click the [Edit] button
4. Click "Full Control" in the "Allow" column and "Delete" in the "Deny" column.
5. Keep clicking [OK] and [Yes] to close all dialogs.

This ensures that all users can write to C:\$$PIP$$.$$$ and at the same time keeps them from deleting it, because the permission to write to the file would be lost if the file were deleted.

BTW, you'll probably want to create a directory such as C:\PDEV (like "Program Development") for hosting your projects, because BC5 may have problems with path and file names that don't follow the old 8+3 convention. You can get BC5 to open in that directory by default by editing C:\WINDOWS\BCW5.INI.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.