I'm not quite sure the difference between strcmp and == operator when comparing 2 different strings, I was told to do this but == works as well with less typing.

if ((strcmp (a, b[i]) == 0))     
     {
          someMethod();
      }
else
    someOtherMethod();
      }
else
        someOtherMethod();

Is any special reason to use to choose one over the other for comparing 2 strings?

>I'm not quite sure the difference between strcmp and == operator when comparing 2 different strings
Presumably you're using C-style strings, otherwise strcmp wouldn't be an option. So with that in mind, you should use strcmp because it compares the contents of the strings while == compares the address of the first elements in the strings. Given the following comparison:

char a[] = "test";
char b[] = "booga";

if ( a == b ) {
  // Stuff
}

This comparison is functionally equivalent:

char a[] = "test";
char b[] = "booga";

if ( &a[0] == &b[0] ) {
  // Stuff
}

That's a huge difference from the intended operation of comparing each character in the two strings for equality. In that case, you use strcmp.

Comments
Good Explaination

Also, strcmp will tell you the relative ordering of the strings rather than simply if they are equal, if you needed that as well.

I see... just read about c-type strings vs c++ strings, now I know why my == didn't work with grabbing and comparing stuff of the commandline that uses char *argv[].
cheers

Just to add the fact that this is type independent (i.e. not specific to char*):
operator == is overloaded/implemented for all basic types in C++. A pointer is also a basic type. The implementation of operator == that compares pointers is NOT to compare what they to point to but instead it compares the values of pointers. As we know the value of a pointer is the address of object it's pointing to.

As "char*" is the usual substitute for a string, it's very common to see this mistake. But same is applicable to int*, float*,...void*

Another place where you see this error is:

std::map< char*, my_value_class > my_map ;

:)

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.