Hello everyone, was wondering if any of you might happen to know something that can help me. I've been searching the net for a way to get GNOME to change its resolution from a script. I can call gnome-display-properties but that pulls up a gui. Basically I am writing a script that launches a game for me with all the right options. I am using 1024*768 for normal usage but I like to switch to 640*480 to let the graphics appear smooth because whe scaled i the 1024*768 it runs a lil slower and looks real blockish. the script itself worx.

#!/bin/bash
snes9x -stereo "$1"
exit

Now what I
am trying to do is figure a way to changethe resolution automatically because the gui thing isn't real clean looking for me but this is what it looks like with the resolution change dialog and for now this worx.

#!/bin/bash
gnome-display-properties
snes9x -stereo "$1"
gnome-display-properties
exit

I just ant to avoid the resolution gui and it utomatically change to 640*480 and back without the gui popping up. Anyone with a deeper knowledge of gnome might be able to help. Thanx for reading.

Well, I've been looking for a while more and have found some articles about changing x config files, and some using sudo, which is what I wanted to avoid by hopefully calling the gnome-display-properties without gui which does not require sudo to be set up and worx for each user. When I figure out any of this stuff a little more, I will post about it. Maybe later I may try to write a script to automate whatever I had to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.