Guys I'm trying to see if I can use DEV to write plugins (DLL) for my animation program Maya. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting started. Once I create the DLL project I tried doing a build to see what I would get just with on empty project and I got a warning saying:
No host application was provided. So I went to the execute menu Parameters. I got a little window, I know in the host application I put in Maya.exe. But what is Parameters to pass to your program? Has anyone ever used Dev for what I'm trying to do?

Also I know most of the people that write plug ins for Maya use visual basic. Should I switch or try to work with Dev?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

you don't start debugging in the dll itself, but start with a host program because the host program calls funciton(s) in the dll as if they were actually part of the host program. If you want to test the functions in the dll write a test host program that just calls the dll functions.

>>Also I know most of the people that write plug ins for Maya use visual basic
Is Maya written in C++ ? I assume plugins can be written in VB but I don't know that much about VB. I know VB can call c functions (but not c++ due to name mangling).

Yes Maya is built in C++. As for your first answer you just made me more confused then I was when I first asked the question.

Yes Maya is built in C++. As for your first answer you just made me more confused then I was when I first asked the question.

i believe he is trying to say that if and when you write this DLL and begin testing since you cannot execute/run the DLL you need to write in your own tests to make sure that you are correctly passing the data at each step.

Also i believe VB can call C++ DLL's as you can use the System.Runtime.Interop namespace to reference DLL's into ones app. correct me if i am horribly wrong :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.