Hi guys:

I am using Borland C++ Builder to make a window application. I need to use a list box to display the items I selected. Besides, I need to chang the order of the selected items in the box. Could any body please give me a clue how I can do this?

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

How about looking at the facilities offered by the API?

I don't think CListBox has a method to move a row from one spot to another. If you want to change the order of the items then I'd probably copy them all into a std::vector<std::string>, sort the vector however you want, delete everything from the list box, then copy the vector back in the order you want.

Yeah. There is no such function in the API too. But I don't know if the list box will flicker if you remove and add the items all at once. Can't you do it by using the LB_SETITEMDATA message? I think it would be much faster.

Why would he want to use LB_SETITEMDATA ? That will not change the order of the items that appear in the list box.

I don't know. It was just a hunch. I am too lazy to try it and see. Another straightforward way seems to be the use of LB_INSERTSTRING. Since you can specify the index of the position that you want to insert the string to, I think you can use it to change the order of the items.

Yes, LB_INSERTSTRING will work if all he wants to do is insert the new item in a specific location.

Yeah. But won't deleting an item from it's original location and inserting it in it's new location change the order of the items?

Changing the order of the items is what the OP wants to do.

This snippet sends the string at zero based index 3, to the position at index 0.

HWND hList = GetDlgItem(hwnd, IDC_LIST);
char buf[100]="";
SendMessage(hList, LB_GETTEXT, (WPARAM)3, (LPARAM)buf);
SendMessage(hList, LB_DELETESTRING, 3, 0);
SendMessage(hList, LB_INSERTSTRING, 0, (WPARAM)buf);

The original order of 0 1 2 3 4 5 will endup with 3 0 1 2 4 5

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.