hi. can someone tell me if there is some way to open or start execution of a program by typing in some sort combination of keys on the keyboard?

For example if I have a program called program.exe and it is stored on the hard-drive is it possible to start the execution of that program by pressing a sequence of keys on the keyboard instead of going onto the hard-drive with windows explorer for instance and double-clicking with the mouse?

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by quintoncoert

in the command prompt window type the name of the program you want to run and press <Enter> key. You may have to change directories to where the program is located if it is not in the PATH list.

in the command prompt window type the name of the program you want to run and press <Enter> key. You may have to change directories to where the program is located if it is not in the PATH list.

sorry but no that is not what i am looking for. i know that i can do that.

what i am looking for is something else. can i not store the program name along with its path in a macro or sequence or something and then activate it by pressing some buttons on the keyboard?

For example if I have a program called program.exe and it is stored on the hard-drive is it possible to start the execution of that program by pressing a sequence of keys on the keyboard instead of going onto the hard-drive with windows explorer for instance and double-clicking with the mouse?

If you want to use the exe itself, no. If you're ok with making a shortcut to the exe then you can set a shortcut key that lets you type ctrl+alt+<your key> to open the program.

If you want to use the exe itself, no. If you're ok with making a shortcut to the exe then you can set a shortcut key that lets you type ctrl+alt+<your key> to open the program.

yes that would be great. but how do I do that? are you talking about something like a desktop shortcut? and how do I create the key?

I did look at Ancient Dragon's link but it does not tell me how to create such a shortcut for my own programs.

Make a shortcut to your exe and from the properties of the shortcut you can set a shortcut key. Pick any key you want, like y, and the shortcut to run the link will be ctrl+alt+y.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.