Greetings.
I'm sort of on the en-route to project completion except for some small problems here and there.
One more major step is report generation.
I'm totally new in this area. Nothing in the old threads are related except for one: Vb report generation but this thread is still left unanswered :sad:

Are DataReport & Crystal Report 2 different things?
Which is easier to use, or more efficient?
Is it possible if I would like to generate the report based on data stored inside a listbox instead of taking it from the database? :D
Meaning, I would just write some sqls, get the data that I need from different tables, and store them parallelly in a few listboxes. And then import the data from these listboxes into the report label control. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A huge achilles heel of VB6 is the reporting. In a word (well two actually) it sucks....hard.

Personally I generate all my report data myself using SQL and sorting and drop it into Excel or HTML files. I think (?) an old version of Crystal is included with some VB6 installs so you could use that. I know nothing about it so don't ask me how.

Greetings.
OK, thanks for your opinion.
HTML files? Umm, how would you do that?
Call the MS Internet Control?

Greetings.
OK, thanks for your opinion.
HTML files? Umm, how would you do that?
Call the MS Internet Control?

By writing text to html files.....

write #intFile,"<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Report File</TITLE></HEAD>"

Then opening the files using ShellExecute.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.