Frogstar 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

I'm trying to make a little tool that would come in handy for some work i'm doing, but my knowledge of C++ is quite limited (i've done a few simple projects at uni, and i've got some books on it).

My task is to compare to series of numbers which are meant to be identical and check for any errors. Both data sets are in separate text files, one delineated by " (ie, "1" "2" "3", etc) and the other is only delineated by spaces (surrounded by quite alot of other junk though). For the purposes of the comparison i'm assuming that one set of numbers is correct, so there are basically only 3 types of error that can occur, a number being in the 'master' set and not in the other set, a no. in the master and in the other set more that once, or a number being in the other set and not in the master (hopefully that made sense...).

Anyhoo, i don't think i'll have any problems with the actual checking for errors, it's just that (being a c++ novice) extracting a number from one text file and searching for it in another has be slightly stumped (i've been reading the tutorial on fstream and that seems to be the starting point)... any help/ideas on how this is done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS. Sorry for length!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.