hi everyone, i'm new to programming and will like to know how i can run my vb/access application on a server? Thanks for your contributions.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Your question is much too vague. It seems that you have a lot of assumptions built into your question. For example, you are assuming the server in question even has Access. This means that it is a Windows machine. You are assuming that the owner of the server is going to permit you to run your program on his/her server.

Tell us about what you are trying to accomplish, why you want to run it on a server. Otherwise, it's very difficult to give you an answer that will actually help you.

Hoppy

If you are talking about a client server kind of application, you can run the vbprogram on your machine and keep the database on the server.

If you really want to run the application from the server machine, i. You can log into server using "Remote Desktop Connection" and execute the program ii. Using Citrix client also you can do it.

Your question is much too vague. It seems that you have a lot of assumptions built into your question. For example, you are assuming the server in question even has Access. This means that it is a Windows machine. You are assuming that the owner of the server is going to permit you to run your program on his/her server.

Tell us about what you are trying to accomplish, why you want to run it on a server. Otherwise, it's very difficult to give you an answer that will actually help you.

Hoppy

Thanks hoppy, i can write a few programs on a standalone computer. However, i want one that will be accessible by other computers in the network. i can get all the co-operation i want from the server end. just want to test my skills. I haven't actually had much training on the subject. be glad if u'd help out.

Your answer indicates that you are talking about an intranet. This means that you can do certain things that you cannot generally do with an Internet application.

Are you sure that you really want to run the program on the server or do you just want to run software that resides on the server?

If you don't care, and I suspect you don't, the simplest way is to create a shortcut to the application. To do this, the folder on the server in which the application resides must be shared. Also, if the program needs to access any files, the folders in which those files reside must also be shared. The person responsible for the server almost certainly knows how to do this. If not, contact me and I will give you instructions. The program will actually execute on your machine, even though the program and all of the data files reside on the server.

Another very popular way to execute code on the server is to use PHP or ASP.NET. Programs using these technologies reside on the server. They are invoked by a browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox (the two most popular). Some of the code gets executed on the server and some is executed on your machine (the client) by the browser.

If you want to know the quickest and easiest way to learn the basics of these languages, you should visit www.w3schools.com. They have tutorials with examples that are clear and easy to understand.

I hope that helps,

Hoppy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.