I made a little app using access db in my computer, and also make an exe file of that. The db location is on c drive. Now i took only the exe file & and the db to another computer. I put the db in c drive there too. but it does not run. What should i do to make it runnable to any computer? Please help me.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hi,
You need make your application's installable using Package & Deployment or InstallShield. Run the Setup of your application on another PC, it will work

the answer in the post #2 is correct. but there is another way. if u do not need a huge installing process then just install the vb6 runtime files on the target compuer along with ur apps. u can get the vb6.0 sp4 runtime files from http://www.microsoft.com

How are you connecting to the database? If you are using ODBC, you need to create a like ODBC element on the new computer.

Hoppy

hi,
I help u for runing app an other location/com
U need to install a vb on the other computer/ make the setup file of the app u make
Tip: U kind information that use the same folder for exe & db email me for next: zaibgee111inone@yahoo.com phoneno 0301-7074062

i make the app use acc db and want to distribut it to the an other computer p help me for making the setup file in vb for distribution of the application

follow the following steps to create the installer for ur project. but before trying this make sure that u have created the executable(.exe) for ur project. hope u know how to create that.

1.close ms vb6.0 ide
2.click start>-programs->microsoft visual studio 6.0->microsoft visual studio 6.0 tools->package and deployment wizard
3.click browse to locate ur project file(.vbp)
4.click package
5.click yes to start the recompilation process
6.in package type select standard setup package and click next
7.select the destination where u want to create the package folder for ur project.this folder will contain all the supported and main application files required to install ur apps in some other client machine.
8.click yes to create the folder if it doesn't exist and click next
9.the next list that will come will display all necessary files to build the setup.click add to insert some other files from ur project to the said list.if u any access database file,click this button,locate ur db file and click open to add the file to the list.this list will also help u to remove any unnecessary files that u donot wish to install in the target machine with apps.u can also add help files(if any) for project from this option.but do not ever try to remove the .dll,.ocx,.lib or .exe files.click next
10.if u want ur setup becomes a standalone package select single cab otherwise if u want part installer then select multiple cab.if u select the 2nd option u have mention the size of the floppy disks.then the wizard will ask u insert the floppies one after another.i will recommend u not to use this option.click next
(if u see any shared files box or dependency information box just skip that)
11.insert a title for the installer and click next
12.in the next screen adjust the menu apperance the setup will create for u.this will become the startmenu shortcuts for ur apps.
13.click next->click next
14.in the script name box u do not require to enter anything but do not erase the default text.
15.click finish to build the installer.
16.click close->click close

after the installer is created just goto the package folder and there u will find a file "setup.exe".double click that to run the installer.

hope u will grab this.
regards
Shouvik

thank s Shouvik but the problem is that
click start>-programs->microsoft visual studio 6.0->microsoft visual studio 6.0 tools->package and deployment wizard
is not shown here
it's vb setup file miss is it so p guide me to download vb6.0 correct setup files

click start>-programs->microsoft visual studio 6.0->microsoft visual studio 6.0 tools->package and deployment wizard
is not shown here
it's vb setup file miss is it so p guide me to download vb6.0 correct setup files
is vb and ms access is essentials to install on the end side/ distributed side
thank in
regard

hello Butt Gee,
if you cannot be able to find the shortcuts there, that means your os or might be you accidentally deleted it. but don't worry there is an alternate way. try this...

1. within vb6 ide, click Add-Ins->Add-In Manager
2. there you will find package and deployment wizard in the available add-ins list. select that and check on the two options below under Load Behaviour which are "Loaded/Unloaded" and "Load on startup". click ok to save and exit this screen.
3. then click the add-in menu again
4. now you can see the option appeared under this menu.
5. after clicking this option if you fetch any error then consider that you need to re-install visual studio in your computer.

regards
Shouvik

is not shown here
is vb and ms access is essentials to install on the end side/ distributed side
thank in
d i install vb 6.0 compelet
once again]
thanks in regard

i have this problem in mysql db

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.