Hi all,

I'm training at college in VB.NET, I'm not that far along, but know the basics.

My father is in the IT dept at a printing firm. A programmer developed a fairly simple "Label Printer" application for his company in VB6. They've been running it on the shop-floor computers which have Win98. They want to upgrade to WinXP, but can't get the Label Printer application to work on XP.

I asked my instructor about this, he said it's most likely because of the switch to ADO.NET.

My father has some of the source files for the Label Printer application, so I attempted to import it into Visual Studio 2005. It gave me an error or two, which I managed to overcome.

Then I came to an error, as it's upgrading/importing the vb6 project into Visual Studio, it stops at "Status: Parsing FlexDataSource.cls..."
The error message is
"Upgrade failed: Exception occurred: Could not load referenced component:
VSFLEX7D.OCX (1.0.0)
You need to install this component before you upgrade the project. It is recommended you install VB6.0, with all referenced components, and ensure the application compiles and runs before upgrading."

I'm at work right now, and I'm on my laptop which has Vista on it. I tried to download and register the VSFLEX7D.OCX, but Vista wouldn't take.

I'll have to wait until I get to a machine with that .ocx file on it?

Can anyone give me some suggestions for importing to Visual Studio, because I've never done this before.

Thanks all, have a good one.
Dave

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Importing is a very complex task

Have you tried simply running the old version in compatibility mode?

To get old dos games working on xp you need to right click on the shortcut and chose Compatibility tab and the choose windows 98

Importing is a very complex task

Have you tried simply running the old version in compatibility mode?

To get old dos games working on xp you need to right click on the shortcut and chose Compatibility tab and the choose windows 98

Hi jbennet, thanks for your reply.

The application still runs in XP, but with an ADO error. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

I asked my father if he had tried running it under compatibility mode, and he said he tried it and still received the same ADO error.

The program has to access his company's database(s), hence the use of ADO. If I understood my instructor correctly, VB6 used older ADO classes, and now XP doesn't have those. XP has the ADO.NET classes. So I'm thinking I have to import this project to be able to incorporate .NET? Otherwise it won't run correctly.

No, thats incorrect

XP can have both. ADO.NET was invented after XP came out, and is a part of optionally downloadable .NET framework

what you mean is that VB6 has ADO and .NET has ADO.NET

An ADO app writeen in VB6 will run happily on XP
Converting a VB6 ADO app to VB.NET however, wil be a pain in the backside

Obviously I still have much to learn. Thanks for all of the info.

What do you suggest we do? I still get the error.

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/lukienbb/adoerror001.jpg[/IMG]

After attempting to open the application, this error appears twice. It seems like something is attempting to access the ADO stuff during the main form's Load subroutine.

I've now tried running it regularly, and with compatibility mode with Win98 and Win95. Still got the same error.

Thanks for the help so far.

Are you accesing ti as a data source?

go to run and type odbccp32.cpl

compare the setup on the 98 machines with the one on the xp machines

hi there, I also have more or less the same problem. Could you help me by sending this file "vsflex7d.ocx" to me, I tried to search the web for it, but could not find. YOu could either send it through daniweb or you could send it directly to me at "rajeshkhanna_in@yahoo.com"

[Hi]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.