Hi,
I am new to this community.

I have a problem described below.

I need to write a java code which would archive a set of files in "newc" format and then compress it using gzip. There are apis to compress in gzip format but couldnt find an api that would archive in "newc" format.
One solution is to invoke "cpio" command (to compress in "newc" format) through java code but this will work only on linux. I need to find something similar on windows, as the code must run on both on windows and linux.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advace

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thank you

I need to find something similar on windows, as the code must run on both on windows and linux.

in that case I take it you are happy to have learned that Java code does not depend on the platform it is run on? the same code will run both on Linux and Windows

so all you need to do is find out what the file format looks like and create some library to write (and probably read while you're at it) that format.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.