Im looking for the "best" GUI builder for java.

I use Eclipse to write my scripts, and i would appreciate you guys telling me your favourite GUI Builder and the reasons why.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I've been building Java GUIs since the mid 90's and in my opinion the best builder is no builder.
Yes, you can drag and drop a pile of controls into a layout, and get a few hundred lines of incomprehensible code, but as soon as you start to think about re-sizing behaviour or multiple target screen resolutions it all goes Pete Tong. It's a total maintenance nightmare.
If it's a simple dialog just stick with a default BorderLayout with a simple sub JPanel or two.
Anything more complicated then draw it out on paper and be sure where all the underlying grid lines are and how they should move on a re-size. Then code it using a GridBagLayout.

I have to agree with JamesCherrill as that has been my experience. Java with GUI can run on so many different devices so a GUI builder has yet to handle re-sizing and more (see JC's answer.)

May as well dig in and learn how to do it right from the beginning.

I've tried several, and the only one I kinda like is the one provided by IntelliJ.
It seems to create the least convoluted code, but as anything it takes time to learn to use properly.

commented: I've recently learned that many today haven't learned to swim, ride a bike, etc. +16
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.