My son uses Anaconda so I thought I'd install it so we could collaborate. I downloaded and installed the latest version. When I ran Anaconda Navigator, the first thing it told me was "there is a new version available". That's when I started having misgivings, but I downloaded and installed the update anyway.

I ran Navigator again, then launched Spyder. I tried to run the Help -> Tutorial but just got two cryptic messages about missing dependencies for Jedi and Sphinx (both of which already appeared as installed in the Environments tab). There were no instructions as to how to resolve this. It also complained about missing something called Kite but I got that fixed. Don't know what it actually fixed, but at least it stopped complaining.

Wanting to at least test out the Python, I loaded a script that did a couple of additions and a couple of multiplications (it already ran fine from the command line). Then I just got

Spyder_Bite.jpg

I tried to file a bug report (as per the dialog) but it seems I'd have to set up a github account first.

Has anyone else been able to set this up? It may be a powerful package but if you can't do the simple things, how can you do the complex ones?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

That's what I thought. It stains the entire industry when crap like this is put out. Granted, it's free, but if it is released into the wild, what features it has should at least work. I don't much care if some features are labeled as "future" as long as the current ones work. When the first simple thing I try to run just causes an abort with a meaningless (to the user) error message, it destroys whatever hopes I might have had for the software. It's like no testing was done. What are the chances I will try this package again in six months? Close to zero. As a side benefit, by default it registered itself as my default Python so everything I had written using wxPython stopped working. It's a good thing I take daily images. It only took thirty minutes to restore yesterday's image and get things working again.

Hey Jim, I hear you about that. I didn't write what they noted as the fix because my bet is the fix changes with each version.
The fix in that discussion was to install specific versions of this and that.

What is this? A jig-saw puzzle?

I think I'll just stick with idle. I'm not doing anything complex. I used to use Visual Studio for debugging but because I haven't done anything in vb.net for a couple of years I uninstalled it to free up a (rude word) ton of disk space.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.