Hi,
I am a non computing graduate. Have basic HTML knowledge gather using freecodecamp. I am transitting from marketing industry to IT (programming) industry. I have enrolled in a masters in UK which will start in just one month. But I am not sure If i will be able to fully concentrate or spend much time in classes or learning while being in the UK working full time + overtime to manage my tuition fees.

I already started with responsive webdesign on freecodecamp. But Someone suggested me that I should spend next one month only in learning python and trying to build a web scrapper as it will help with the programming basic. Although my course will teach C# and .net for programming framework.

I found a 9 Hour long Python course on Udemy. Should I start with that? My goal is to prepare my self as much as possible so that It will be easier for me to keep pace with my masters course inspite of having less time to study.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why start with Python if your study uses C#/.NET? Microsoft Learn has a lot of courses for you to take (for free).

Sorry, I should have mentioned about this before to avoid any confusion.
The reason why he suggested to learn python is that it's easier to learn in very short time compared to other frameworks. And we both are right now working on a Content writing and publishing automation system with open ai api using Go language. Python will be required in this project and others that we will be doing in the future.

I personally think that you are loading too much on your plate right now which might cause one of your other objectives to fail IMO.
Given a 1 month target makes it even worse, maybe change your course or change the current project roup you are involved in.

C#, .NET and Python all have similar syntax but vary in the detail. Better to learn one then another rather mix them up. Prioritise your workload.

Python is a language that i write but I am not fond of (I am a programmer). But today I saw an interview from Van Rossum that was great (he is really an inspiration). In it he insisted that the best way to learn a new language is to try it in a real world project. I agree 100% . So my advice is to try to create a project that you want in a language that is fundamentally in the industry (C++ or Java to be honest ... but PHP or Python would fill this as well (but ...) ) . Think a crazy idea for an application , a site or a project ... you don't really have to accomplice it , the journey is the magic and that it is yours will make you more interested in it . I am programming since I was 10 at 1987 creating stupid games in an Amstrad 6128, today I reviewed the programming lessons my nephew has to learn in an economics major , and I was sure that if this were my first contact with programming I would hate it. All the juice is in the context ( as in math in my knowledge) , and in order to get it you will have to create your own goal and not a dull tutorial.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.