How can I view a single xml file I wrote using IE. Have browsed to directory where I saved the file but I gat an error from IE :
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Phil/Desktop/1.x...

why is this ? do i need to configure ie 7 for xml compatibility or something?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

XML elements must follow these naming rules:

• Names can contain letters, numbers, and other characters
  • Names must not start with a number or punctuation character
  • Names must not start with the letters xml (or XML, or Xml, etc)
  • Names cannot contain spaces

Source www.w3schools.com, Element Naming

Thank you for your reply, the xml file in question has been checked over and seems correct. I have taken a file from the w3cschools web site tutorial (so I presume the syntax is perfect) to check if it works, but I still get above error! any ideas?

XML elements must follow these naming rules:

• Names must not start with a number or punctuation character

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Phil/Desktop/1.x...

That what is your problem

HI there, have discovered what the problem was.It's a little odd but maybe you might shed some light on this lol.I wrote the file in textpad and saved with .xml extension. Now I try to view in ie and ge the above mentioned error. However, I opened this file wth topstyle lite and there was one character in the file!!! a '<'. hmmm intersting so I retyped the file (using topstyle) and tried to browse in ie, and lo and behold it works fine! I thought textpad was a legitimate tool for xml writing, maybe I am wrong? thanks for your help Peter_budo.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.