Hello,
Is there a way to install an email server on a personal computer? I don't need a fully functional email server with all the bells and whistles. I just want to build my website on my personal computer before I upload everything to a real web server. In order to do that I have to send out emails using php from my website. I am running ubuntu 7.1 and I have already installed php and apache2. If anyone has any experience in the matter please help me out.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

i would set the smtp of the server to your isp's and you won't have to install a email server.

How do I this in apache2?

I found many examples of setting up the php.ini file to send mails using external mail servers like gmail and such but they are all for windows machines. I can't find a single example for a linux machine. Does anyone know how to configure php.ini file so I can send emails through a gmail account?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.