Hi this is scorpionz here

I am working on some exams stuff...
Now the thing i want to mention here is that: a text boxes created by php code, means a text boxes shaped in this way:

<input type="text" name="total_points<?=$i?>" style="width:50px;" >

Now these are created severals. I have a button here which i created in this way:

<input type="submit" name="calculate_points" value="Submit" onclick="return totalpoints_calculation()" />

when i press button i need to calculate the points that i input in the text boxes. and mention that result in alert box.
here is the function i started

<script type="text/javascript">

function totalpoints_calculation()
{
	//var	tot_points	=	document.questioncreationform.total_points<?=$i?>.value;
	alert('tot_points');
	return false;
}

</script>

I am unable to create a javascipt to calculate the total points in boxes.

Any Response will be highly appreciated with great interest
Thanks in Advance....

Regards
Scorpionz

Contributors
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by langsor

There's dozens of ways to get the text value from the form field to the javascript ... this is one simple way.

<?php
$i = '_foo';
?>
<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

function totalpoints_calculation () {
  var tot_points = document.getElementById('<?=$i?>').value;
  alert(tot_points);
}

</script>
</head>
<body>
  <input id="<?=$i?>" type="text" name="total_points<?=$i?>" style="width:50px;" />
  <input type="button" name="calculate_points" value="Submit" onclick="totalpoints_calculation()" />
</body>
</html>

The Submit button can or not be a 'submit' type button or just a regular button.

You could also parse through the entire form, but this way you don't really need a <form> wrapper.

This method assumes each php variable is unique thus using an 'id' to get the html element.

Let me know if your situation needs a different approach.

Cheers

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.