For some reason Safari and Bloglines strips out part of the HREF address in my RSS links.

The feed address is:

http://popsicklestrip.com/pss-rss.xml

The proper address format is:

[domain]s/[comic-name]

For example:

http://popsicklestrip.com/s/to-the-death/

This is how it appears in the actual XML file and it works fine in Firefox and Opera. However, in some readers it strips out the "/s" on all of the links in the feed.

For example:

http://popsicklestrip.com/to-the-death/

And of course this is a dead link. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Thanks a bunch!

-Steve

Here is a sample of my XML if this helps:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
 <channel>
  <title>popsicklestrip.com</title>
  <link>http://popsicklestrip.com/</link>
  <description>A comic about popular stuff.</description>
  <language>en</language>
  <item>
   <title>To The Death</title>
   <link>http://localhost/popsicklewww/s/to-the-death/</link>
   <description>Nice try. I've spent the last two years building up an immunity to cultural references.</description>
   <pubDate>Wed, 10 Sep 2008</pubDate>
   <guid>to-the-death</guid>
  </item>
  <item>
   <title>Suicide</title>
   <link>http://localhost/popsicklewww/s/suicide/</link>
   <description>You don't even have to clean up the mess.</description>
   <pubDate>Tue, 09 Sep 2008</pubDate>
   <guid>suicide</guid>
  </item>
  <item>
   <title>The Sahara Showdown</title>
   <link>http://localhost/popsicklewww/s/sahara-showdown/</link>
   <description>All we are saying is give war a chance.</description>
   <pubDate>Mon, 08 Sep 2008</pubDate>
   <guid>sahara-showdown</guid>
  </item>
  <item>
   <title>What's wrong?</title>
   <link>http://localhost/popsicklewww/s/whats-wrong/</link>
   <description>It's really starting to get me down.</description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 07 Sep 2008</pubDate>
   <guid>whats-wrong</guid>
  </item>
  <item>
   <title>POPsickleCHARTS: The A-B Curve</title>
   <link>http://localhost/popsicklewww/s/abc/</link>
   <description>This is a useful graph for starting your own religion. The key is to be about 33% or 66% unbelievable or obvious.</description>
   <pubDate>Sun, 07 Sep 2008</pubDate>
   <guid>abc</guid>
  </item>
 </channel>
</rss>

I think I figured it out. Safari was taking the domain and the id and combining them together to make the link - instead of using the link. I assume this is what the other mentally handicapped readers are doing as well. I fixed it by adding the "s/" prefix to all IDs.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.