I have my WAMP server on Vista but need it too on KUBUNTU so as I can use it even under linux. Can Anyone help me how to do it. I accept even how to separately install Apache, PHP and MYSQL. Pse help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

yup WAMP is Windows. The combination of Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP setup is known as LAMP

use my tutorial to get the SW stack installed

Apache - Web server

Apache is one of the most famous web servers and with just few simple commands, you can configure apache to play nicely with PHP.

Note: You put your content /var/www/ somewhere (where excactly depends on distribution and configuration, i think on ubuntu its sites-enabled.

MySQL 5 - Database Server

The MySQL database is renownd for its excellent performance, high reliability and ease of use.

PHP5 - Scripting Language

PHP is a common scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be easialy embedded into HTML pages and works well with other technogies such as the MySQL database and Apache webserver.

phpMyAdmin - Web-based database administration software.

PhpMyAdmin is an excellent web based database administration tool. Managing databases and tables couldnt any simpler.

Note:

First, lets ensure that the system meets the minimum requirements and has at least 256MB of RAM available. If your machine has less than 256MB ram then it can cause lot of problems and MySQL will give you the error "cannot connect to mysql.sock".

Getting Started:

Ubuntu has the command "apt-get".

This command makes it easy for a beginner to install packages as you dont need to worry about package dependencies or manually creating configuration files.

I will assume that you have already installed ubuntu and have it up and running. By the way, If you wish to access the server remotely through SSH from a windows PC then please download a tool called PuTTY

Install:

Ok, now type (in this order, hit enter at the end of the line) and wait for it to complete. Reboot once all the software is installed

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server mysql-client php5-mysql phpmyadmin ssh

by the way, you may also want to do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to ensure you have the most recent system patches. That way you can try and avoid any security pitfalls

Security:

By default the mysql root (superuser) account does not have a password. Set one like this:

mysql -u root
mysql> USE mysql;
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('new-password') WHERE user='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

You are now ready to roll!

Thanks all.
I will try tomorrow and will give feedback

for future note, i think if you grab the ubuntu LTS server edition cd, you can use it to install a command line LAMP system, and can then apt-get anything else you need

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.