i have developed a c#/.NET web app using VS 2005 on my local machine. it works fine, and i have copied the files over to the web server (running ASP.NET 2), and it works great with JIT compiling on the server. before moving to production, i would like to compile to help performance.

the literal path of the application on the web server is

d:/www/univmain/search_app/default.aspx

** univmain is a web folder (but not .NET application), search_app is a web sub-folder and .NET application

view from IIS manager is (websites)

/defaultweb

/www
        / univmain
               /includes 
                       topnav.htm
              /search_app (application folder)
                       default.master.aspx
                       default.aspx

The master file contains old asp style "includes". because of our cms system, these cannot be updated.

build command used:

aspnet_compiler -v /univmain/search_app -p d:\www\univmain\search_app d:\searchfiles

during the build I get the following error which causes failure:

"/univmain/search_app/default.master(11): error ASPPARSE: Failed to map the path '/univmain/includes."

The default.master file includes the htm pages in the following way:
<!--#include virtual="/univmain/includes/topnav.htm"-->
(I have also tried using #include file="", but get same error)

Based on another post, i have attempted to resolve this error by specifying the full IIS metabase path of the application in the aspnet_compiler command

This generates an error regarding the IIS application.

>aspnet_compiler -m /lm/w3svc/2/ROOT/univmain/search_app d:\searchfiles
Utility to precompile an ASP.NET application
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

error ASPRUNTIME: '/lm/w3svc/2/ROOT/univmain/search_app' is not a valid IIS application.

QUESTION: can someone help me run the correct metabase command? i used /lm/w3svc/2 because i thought it represented the 2nd website under IIS. However, i also tried /lm/w3svc/1, which gave the same error.

or do you see another way to solve the original build error/ path problem?

thanks much

a little clarification on the problem:

i am trying to include a file that is is one level up (which means it is outside the application folder, which i'm sure is the issue with .NET). the folder structure is

/ univmain

/includes 

topnav.htm

/search_app (application folder)

default.master.aspx

/navigation

leftnav.htm

i have 2 includes in the master file, (both using classic asp #include). one points to /navigation/leftnav.htm (inside the application "search_app") and the other points to univmain/includes/topnav.htm (which falls outside the application folder "search_app").

if i just ftp the web files to the server (without compiling or "publishing" thru .net) and let JIT compiling take place it all works just fine. however, when i try to publish (on my local machine) or compile the app (on the server), i get invalid path for the topnav.htm file. i presume .NET just won't let you compile with a file that lives outside the application folder. i was hoping that maybe using the full metabase path option would help...but i don't know.

ok, think i've figured it out. would have to enable parent paths...which is not good. so i'll have to work on setting up some virtual directories.

thread closed

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.