Hi

im developing a PHP website based on PHPRunner 5.0 and i feel that it has basically all the features that im looking for. However i do want to have a private messaging system for users to send messages to other users.

anyone knows which software have this component and i can "rip" this component out and fix it into my website.

i also noticed that phpBB3 has the private messaging component but i have no idea where to start from to track where's the private messaging component. Glad if someone can help me out here.

Thank You

Member Avatar for diafol

The private messaging modules should be rely upon the members table (and possibly others) of that package. "Ripping out" the module and trying to integrate it to another may be difficult (or even nigh on impossible) without rewriting large sections of code (the forms and db access).

phpBB (v3):

Four main tables for pms:

phpbb3_privmsgs
phpbb3_privmsgs_folder
phpbb3_privmsgs_rules
phpbb3_privmsgs_to

You've good a number of options too. Do you want to include the option of allowing BBCODE?
For example the first table has these fields:

msg_id
root_level
author_id
icon_id
author_ip
message_time
enable_bbcode
enable_smilies
enable_magic_url
enable_sig
message_subject
message_text
message_edit_reason
message_edit_user
message_attachment
bbcode_bitfield
bbcode_uid
message_edit_time
message_edit_count
to_address
bcc_address

Adapting this setup to your needs could be a lot of work. In addition, although phpbb3 is open-source and you can develop it as you wish, I'm not sure about your rights to take chunks of its code and use it in your own app.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.