i don't know if this is enough you to help me but looking at this could you tell me what i could do to fix it?

$user_check = mysql_query("SELECT userdb_user_name FROM default_userdb WHERE userdb_user_name='$reciever'");
  $user_check = mysql_num_rows($user_check);

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /xx/xx/x/xx/xx/xx/xxxx/xxxxx/htdocs/xxxx/xxx/xxx.php

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i don't know if this is enough you to help me but looking at this could you tell me what i could do to fix it?

$user_check = mysql_query("SELECT userdb_user_name FROM default_userdb WHERE userdb_user_name='$reciever'");

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /xx/xx/x/xx/xx/xx/xxxx/xxxxx/htdocs/xxxx/xxx/xxx.php

Your query did not execute.

at least add this check after the $user_check line:

if (!$user_check) {
    die('Invalid query: ' . mysql_error());
}

You may want to try to pass a valid mysql connection link as a second argument to mysql_query function

This should be the result of your mysql_connect() function.

how ould i do this You may want to try to pass a valid mysql connection link as a second argument to mysql_query function

how ould i do this You may want to try to pass a valid mysql connection link as a second argument to mysql_query function

Carefully :)

Just kidding.

Well, how do you connect to mysql database? Do you have the mysql_connect() function anywhere in your code?

lol

yes i do but not in the same one but connection work. because before this it checks that if the user loged in. this is suppose to check when the loged in user is trying to send a pm to an other user if user name exist in the datebase but keep getting error, it is not finding the user even thogh that user exist.

Ok, then after the first
$user_check

add this line and see what mysql complains about:

if (!$user_check) {
}

my main error is this
'That username does not exist, please try again. Remember to check your spelling, and don\'t make stuff up at random.';

and then the warning i gave in the previuos post.

i don't know where i should put that. i think i have something like that and it passes. but just don't find the user to send when there.
here is the code, maybe this make more sense.

<?php
session_start();
$user = $_SESSION['username'];
$reciever = $_REQUEST['reciever'];

include 'db.php';

//This checks to see if a user is logged in or not by seeing if the sessioned username varialble exists.
	//You could change this check to however you want to validate your members, this is just how I did it.
    if(!$user)
        {
        echo "<br><p>Blah blah you arent logged in and stuff, you should do that or something</p><br>";
        }

else
        {
        //Query the database to see how many messages the logged in user has, then do a little math
		//Find the percentage that your inbox is full (message count divided by 50)
		//50 messages maximum, you can change that
		$sql = mysql_query ("SELECT pm_count FROM default_userdb WHERE userdb_user_name='$user'");
		$row = mysql_fetch_array ($sql);
		$pm_count = $row['pm_count'];

//This is the math to figure out the percentage.
		//The message could divided by 50 then multiplied by 100 so we dont have a number less than 1
		$percent = $pm_count/'50';
		$percent = $percent * '100';
        ?>
        <br>
        <center>
        <b><p><a href="inbox.php">Inbox</a> | <a href="compose.php">Compose</a> | <a href="sent.php">Sentbox</a></b>
        <b><p><?php echo "$pm_count"." of 50 Total  |  "."$percent"."% full"; ?></p></b>
        </center>
        <br>
        <?php
        //So here we get the variable submitted through the form to this page
        if($reciever == NULL)
        {
        $reciever = $_POST['username'];
        }
        $subject = $_POST['subject'];
        $message = $_POST['message'];
        $error = '0';

//If they are all blank we jsut say to compose a message
        if(!$reciever AND !$subject AND !$message)
            {
            ?>
            <p><b>Please compose a message.</b></p>
            <br>
            <?php
            }

//Since this form was partially filled out we need to return an error message
        else
            {
            if (!$reciever)
                {
                $error = 'You must enter a reciever to your message';
                }

if (!$subject)
                {
                $error = 'You must enter a subject';
                }

if (!$message)
                {
                $error = 'You must enter a message';
                }

//If the variable error is not set to zero, we have a problem and should show the error message
            if($error != '0')
                {
                echo "<p>$error</p><br>";
                }

//There are no errors so far which means the form is completely filled out    
            else
                {
                //Are the trying to send a message to a real user or to something they just made up?

//The user is real and not made up if this is true
                if($user_check > '0')
                    {
                    //There might already be a sessioned time variable, if so we need to get it for the flood check
                    $time = $_SESSION['time'];

//If there is a time variable already, set it to the varialbe $old_time
                    if($time > '0')
                        {
                        $old_time = $time;
                        }

//Here we get the minutes and seconds on the server time using the date function, and set that to the $time variable
                    //Now we find the difference between this time ($time) and the time that the page was submitted ($old_time)
                    $time = date('is');
                    $difference = $time - $old_time;

$_SESSION['time'] = $time;

//If the two times have a difference greater or equal to 15, which is 15 seconds, they can submit the message, this is for flood protection
                    if($difference >= '15')
                        {
                        //Get their private message count
                        $sql = mysql_query ("SELECT pm_count FROM default_userdb WHERE username='$reciever'");
                        $row = mysql_fetch_array ($sql);
                        $pm_count = $row['pm_count'];

//You cant have more than 50 private messages, if they try sending a message to a user with a full inbox return an error message
                        if(pm_count == '50')
                            {
                            $error = 'The user you are trying to send a message to has 50 private messages, sorry but we cant send your message untill that user deletes some of their messages.';
                            }

else
                            {    
                            //And now we stick the message in the database with all the correct information
                            mysql_query("INSERT INTO messages (reciever, sender, subject, message) VALUES('$reciever', '$user', '$subject', '$message')") or die (mysql_error());
							//Add 1 to the pm count, update the reciever with the new pm count
							$pm_count++;
							mysql_query("UPDATE default_userdb SET pm_count='$pm_count' WHERE username='$reciever'");
                            }

//Let the user know everything went ok.
                        echo "<p><b>You have successfully sent a private message!</b></p><br>";
                        }

//Since they are trying to send messages faster than every 15 seconds, give them an error message    
                    else
                        {
                        $error = 'You must wait 15 seconds before sending another private message';
                        }
                    }

//If they mis spelled or, made up a username, then give an error message telling them its wrong.
                else
                    {
                    $error = 'That username does not exist, please try again. Remember to check your spelling, and don\'t make stuff up at random.';
                    }
                }
            }

//Since we may have set the error variable to something while trying to send the messae, we need another error check
        if($error != '0')
            {
            echo "<p>$error</p><br>";
            }

//else
          //  {
            //Here's the form for the input
            ?>
            <form name="send" method="post" action="compose.php">
            <table width="80%">
              <tr>
                <td width="150px" align="left" valign="top"><p>Username</p></td>
                <td width="" align="left" valign="top"><input name="username" type="text" id="username" value="<?php echo "$reciever"; ?>"></td>
              </tr>

<tr>
                <td width="150px" align="left" valign="top"><p>Subject</p></td>
                <td width="" align="left" valign="top"><input name="subject" type="text" id="subject" value="<?php echo "$subject"; ?>"></td>
              </tr>

<tr>
                <td width="150px" align="left" valign="top"><p>Message Body</p></td>
                <td width="" align="left" valign="top"><textarea name="message" type="text" id="message" value="" cols="50" rows="10"></textarea></td>
              </tr>

<tr>  
                <td></td>
                <td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Send Message"></td>
              </tr>
            </table>
            </center>
            </form>
            <?php
            }
        //}    
    ?>

Put this:

if (!$user_check) {
}

in between this:

and this:

and tell us what is displayed.

commented: many thans. you were just great and patient +1

here it is

Invalid query: Table 'newokul_1.default_userdb' doesn't exist

default_userdb exist on newokul_1 database

thank you very much for the help i checked the name again and miss spelled and it works now, i was doing it all day and missed a letter. many thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.