Hello Gang - First of all thanks for taking time to read this... I need some direction.

I have background in HTML and Javascript. I am okay with CSS. BUT I am hoping to design a site similar to Urbanspoon.com and I need to know what programs that would involve.

My first thoughts would be PHP and MySql - if so - what should I do to learn those programs?

This site must be able to be searchable and display queried results to the viewers. I will also need to have the ability to monitor listings.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Haven't seen Urbanspoon b4, but a quick look suggests a database (and possibly RSS) driven site. In which case, you'll need a server technology like php/MySQL (or Java or ASP/MSSQL).

In order to test your php (I assume you'll be using this), you'll need an Apache web server, pHp and MySQL. A quick download from XAMPP should set up these on your computer (all platforms supported). Other combo download providers exist, but XAMPP is the one I use. MySQL can be accessed from the command line, but I hate all that messing about. I use the community version of SQLyog from Webyog as a graphical interface to administer my databases. Navicat is a great commercial alternative.

Your pHp coding needs an IDE. I use Aptana from time to time and is a great free tool.
However, I use Dreamweaver for day to day stuff - v.expensive if you're not serious about web design/development. There are a number of good IDEs out there by now.

Obviously you'll need hosting (pHp/MySQL ready).

Search for free scripts and apps like site searching, XML parsing etc.

Thanks for the info... I will look through online. I use Dreamweaver now but have not really looked into anything it offers in depth like Coldfusion. Could that be another possible tool I could use?

Thanks for the info... I will look through online. I use Dreamweaver now but have not really looked into anything it offers in depth like Coldfusion. Could that be another possible tool I could use?

Not unless you want to pay licensing fees. Coldfusion isn't free and open like PHP

dreamweaver is one of the simplest software. try to explore it.

As per my experience dreamweaver is good to use....since I'm using it long time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.