Hello Gang - First of all thanks for taking time to read this... I need some direction.

I have background in HTML and Javascript. I am okay with CSS. BUT I am hoping to design a site similar to Urbanspoon.com and I need to know what programs that would involve.

My first thoughts would be PHP and MySql - if so - what should I do to learn those programs?

This site must be able to be searchable and display queried results to the viewers. I will also need to have the ability to monitor listings.

Haven't seen Urbanspoon b4, but a quick look suggests a database (and possibly RSS) driven site. In which case, you'll need a server technology like php/MySQL (or Java or ASP/MSSQL).

In order to test your php (I assume you'll be using this), you'll need an Apache web server, pHp and MySQL. A quick download from XAMPP should set up these on your computer (all platforms supported). Other combo download providers exist, but XAMPP is the one I use. MySQL can be accessed from the command line, but I hate all that messing about. I use the community version of SQLyog from Webyog as a graphical interface to administer my databases. Navicat is a great commercial alternative.

Your pHp coding needs an IDE. I use Aptana from time to time and is a great free tool.
However, I use Dreamweaver for day to day stuff - v.expensive if you're not serious about web design/development. There are a number of good IDEs out there by now.

Obviously you'll need hosting (pHp/MySQL ready).

Search for free scripts and apps like site searching, XML parsing etc.

Thanks for the info... I will look through online. I use Dreamweaver now but have not really looked into anything it offers in depth like Coldfusion. Could that be another possible tool I could use?

Thanks for the info... I will look through online. I use Dreamweaver now but have not really looked into anything it offers in depth like Coldfusion. Could that be another possible tool I could use?

Not unless you want to pay licensing fees. Coldfusion isn't free and open like PHP

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.