Hello All,

I got hosting from Yahoo. It doesn't allow me to upload files starting with a full stop. And I purchased a classifieds script. It requires the .htaccess file to work. Can anyone suggest a replacement for .htaccess files? I mean any program that works as .htaccess but does not start with a full stop.

Thank You.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

.htaccess files are only supported by Apache servers and most likely the Yahoo hosting will not use Apace or will have .htaccess disabled. The functions within .htaccess files are designed for use with Apache servers so if your software needs .htaccess it MUST run on an Apache server. You can get quite cheep PHP/Apache hosting that supports .htaccess files, just look it up.

Member Avatar for diafol

Don't try to upload .anything.

Rename the .htaccess file as htaccess.txt

Upload

Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess

I assume that you have rights to rename files??

Don't try to upload .anything.

Rename the .htaccess file as htaccess.txt

Upload

Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess

I assume that you have rights to rename files??

Good Idea but I checked on the Yahoo site and they don't allow .htaccess files :(

Member Avatar for diafol

Good Idea but I checked on the Yahoo site and they don't allow .htaccess files :(

Bah! From this I assume the Yahoo! hosting is free.

Solution: buy a cheap hosting package that supports php/MySql etc. Should be plenty to choose from.

Solution: buy a cheap hosting package that supports php/MySql etc. Should be plenty to choose from.

Or if you're thinking of setting up a big website or company website it could be cheaper and easier just to buy a cheap server, stick linux on it and run Apache yourself. Then you don't have to worry about anything apart from DNS hosting which isn't that expensive.

Hello,

Does that mean can I use my home computer as a webserver with www.xxx.com ??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.