Hi, looking for help and need pointing in the right direction, can anyone assist?

Have a data file (txt) that contains 10000 numbers/data points. Storing the data file as varbinary(MAX) in an SQL table.

My goal is to retrieve the file on user request and plot/chart the numbers as a line chart.

No problem in getting DataReader to display the numbers directly to the screen, but I'm stuck as to how get the numbers into a DataSet (or table) to plot a chart....

Can anyone offer advice or give direction?

Many thanks. Miry

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you are able to get numbers from the file into data reader, then you can also convert the data reader into data table.

Refer this code

SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection("Server=(local);database=Northwind;user id=sa;password=;");
        string sql = "Select * from Employees";
        SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, cn);
        cn.Open();
        SqlDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);

DataTable dt = new DataTable();
        dt.Load(dr); 
        dr.Close();

If you are able to get numbers from the file into data reader, then you can also convert the data reader into data table.

Refer this code

SqlConnection cn = new SqlConnection("Server=(local);database=Northwind;user id=sa;password=;");
        string sql = "Select * from Employees";
        SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, cn);
        cn.Open();
        SqlDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);

dt.Load(dr); 
        dr.Close();

Thank you Ramesh, for your reply and example.

The problem is orientated around the txt varbinary(max) field. The sql table contains many rows and each row has a data field containing a txt file (the varbinary one). A stored procedure shuffles off and fetches the correct varbinary field from a specific record, without a problem and the DataReader will grab the contents of the varbinary field (10000 numbers in a line i.e. -2 -2 -2 -2 -2 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -5 -5 -5 -5 -5 -5 -5 -6 -6 -8 -7 -8 -7 -8 -7 -8 -7 -7 -7 -7 -8 -7 -8 -7 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -7 -6 -6 -6 -6 -6 -6 -5 -5 -5 -5 -5 -4 -a4 -4 -4 -4 -3 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -4 -5 -5 -5 -5 -6 -6 -6 -6 etc etc).

The DataReader will display them when i use Response.BinaryWrite, like above.

Tried -

dt.Load(DataReader);

But it the DataTable doesn't hold any data, as a guess because it is a single field.

How can i get the 100000 numbers into a record set without writing a file out and importing it?

Any help, suggestion is very welcome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.