Hi,

I have a calculating order form, which is at
http://www.bcdcoatings.com/orderform.htm which I partially inherited.

The problem is that the second drop down "select item" was added, and is not part of the calculation, in order to get needed information to an html template for emailing the order information.

Right now it is possible to have the "widget" choice be the wrong one (not corresponding with the select size choice,) in that you could have a "widget1" show up at the price of a "widget2" which is not good.

Is there a way to report two values, or another value of information from the 3rd drop down? This would eliminate the need for the second.

OR how do I require the second drop down "select item" selection is made, and it corresponds to the proper selection in the third "select size."

All of the lines can not be required though, as the user may not be ordering more than one item.

Obviously I'm not a programmer, I am actually a hardware/network tech. This is in my lap to deal with though.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You are using JavaScript to do your calculations, so I guess you should try JavaScript/DHTML/AJAX section for a help.

The added <select> has no part in the calculation, its values are all text, so the code where changing the text <select> chanes recalculates the form is not enough
changing the text select item is supposed to change the price values in the size <select> there needs to be another javascript to do so
something like

<TD style="height: 28px; width: 120px;">
<SELECT onChange="populate("price2");calculate();" name="item2" style="width: 133px">
<OPTION value="widget1">widget 1
<OPTION value="widget2">widget 2
<!--snip-->
</SELECT></TD>

where populate() is a javascript that populates the <select><option>s named
this link goes to one available for download, might give you an insight into the code you require

You are using JavaScript to do your calculations, so I guess you should try JavaScript/DHTML/AJAX section for a help.

Thanks Daiva for your reply. I simply do not know where the solution is, so I posted it here hoping for a clue.

Thanks again.
Cooter

The added <select> has no part in the calculation, its values are all text, so the code where changing the text <select> chanes recalculates the form is not enough
changing the text select item is supposed to change the price values in the size <select> there needs to be another javascript to do so
something like

<TD style="height: 28px; width: 120px;">
<SELECT onChange="populate("price2");calculate();" name="item2" style="width: 133px">
<OPTION value="widget1">widget 1
<OPTION value="widget2">widget 2
<!--snip-->
</SELECT></TD>

where populate() is a javascript that populates the <select><option>s named
this link goes to one available for download, might give you an insight into the code you require

Thank you almostbob, I greatly appreciate the nudge in the right direction. I'll work on this and post back. Now I'm becoming interested in programming...<chuckle>.

Cooter

almostbob...
No progress yet, but I am taking an online javascript course. At least I see what you mean by "something like" your example.. Javascript is very versatile and flexible.
Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.