I have pages written in html that use javascript and css, what I would like to do is use php to change how the url comes out.

So I would like the url to look like mywebsite.com/index.php?xx1122 or something like that without disclosing the location of the html files or the type of files they are.

I have been working on this for 3 days and still cant find an answer to this. Im hoping someone can help me with this.

Please keep in mind that I am a php newbie. Thank you all.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You would have to use a .htaccess file to do that.
.htaccess files are straightforward once you are used to them, but can be a little tricky to begin with.

Please could you post an example of the current url and what you would like the replacement url to be?
That way, maybe someone can give you an example syntax for the .htaccess file.

Please note, if you're not sure what you are doing with the .htaccess, you could potentially break other urls on your website.

This has more to do with your web server than PHP. If you are using an Apache web server, do some research on "mod_rewrite".

Edit: As I see buddylee17 has already recommended =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.