Hi. I am new to this site so I hope you will all be able to help me with my problem. I am just starting to learn JavaScript so any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have to make a form that if you put a temperature in a textbox (either Celsius or Fahrenheit) and you click on a button (To Celsius or To Fahrenheit) it will convert it to the corresponding temperature which will appear in another textbox.

I have gotten this far but am getting a NaN value in the coverted temperature

I have been trying to work this out for over a week so any help would be really appreciated.

My code is:

</form>

<!-- used to calculate the temperature conversion from Celcius to Farenheit and Farenheit to Celcius
!-->
	<script>

function celcius()
		{
			document.getElementById("answers").value = parseFloat(document.getElementById("input").value) + Math.round(100/(212-32) * (this.value - 32 ));
		}

function farenheit()
		{
			document.getElementById("answers").value = parseFloat(document.getElementById("input").value) + Math.round((212-32)/100 * this.value + 32);
		}
	</script>
<h1>Temperature Conversion Tool</h1>
<h3>Enter a value into the first box below, then click on what it is to be converted to
Temperature</h3>
<form name="temperature">
&nbsp;<input id="input" value="0" type="text"> 
&nbsp;<input id="answers" value="0" type="text">
<br>
<input value="To Celcius" onClick="celcius() " type="button">
<input value="To Farenheit" onClick="farenheit()
" type="button">
<input name="reset" value="Reset" type="reset"><br>
</form>

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Change the script to this :

<script>
function celcius()
{
var inp = parseFloat(document.getElementById("input").value);
document.getElementById("answers").value = inp + Math.round(100/(212-32) * (inp - 32 ));
}

function farenheit()
{
document.getElementById("answers").value = inp + Math.round((212-32)/100 * (inp + 32));
}
</script>

Change the script to this :

<script>
function celcius()
{
document.getElementById("answers").value = inp + Math.round(100/(212-32) * (inp - 32 ));
}

function farenheit()
{
document.getElementById("answers").value = inp + Math.round((212-32)/100 * (inp + 32));
}
</script>

Thank you so much for the help. It works beautifully. No more NaN error.
I think I may have the wrong formula now as I get the wrong converted numbers. 86 farenheit = 30 celcius but my conversion comes up with 116.

i think it is ....

function celcius()
{
document.getElementById("answers").value = 5/9 * (inp - 32) ;
}

function farenheit()
{
document.getElementById("answers").value = Math.round(9/5 * inp) + 32;
}

Yes that's it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Thank you so much vasanth19 for all your help. One problem solved and now onto the next one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.