Hi,

I have the following regex pattern. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It seems to work when i test but if someone sees anything wrong with it please feel free to tell me.

I don't know Regex but managed to put a username validator together as my previous one was limited.

The problem i have is i want the username so it has to contain letters at least but cannot be all numbers, so if a user tries to use all numbers they have to add a letter to it for it to be valid, but it is fine if it is just all letters.

Because at the moment i am able to create a username like: 123456

Obviously this is not very good, hence why i want it so they have to add a letter if using all numbers but if using all letters then no number is required and optional.

Currently it works like this. A user can have a username between 3-15 characters and can contain _-*. characters and must begin with a letter or number.

if ( !preg_match('/^[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_\-\*\.]{3,15}$/', $_POST['username'])) {
     $err++;
	 echo "<span class=\"error\"><p>My Error Message Here.</p></span>";
}

I hope i have not confused you.

Thanks for any help.

Genieuk

Edited by genieuk: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Kruptein
if ( !preg_match('/^\w[\w_\-\*\.]{2,14}$/', $_POST['username']))

\w matches letters and digits
{2,14} because you did not count the first \w An iterator applies only to the previous element, if no specific grouping applies.

I was working on this, I think it should work (at least in regexbuddy it does)

^(?!^(\d+)$)[a-zA-Z-0-9][\w_\-\*\.]{2,14}$

which uses a negative lookahead to match a digit only username.
For some reason starting with \w here doesn't work.

Edited by pritaeas: fixed

Thanks Pritaeas,

Not got a clue, i find it somewhat confusing.

Maybe someone who knows more about regex could assist on this?

Thanks.
Genieuk

Edited by genieuk: n/a

if ( !preg_match('/^(?!^(\d+)$)[a-zA-Z-0-9][\w_\-\*\.]{2,14}$/', $_POST['username']) )
{
  // invalid
}

As far as I can see, this works.

Edited by pritaeas: n/a

As far as I can see, I don't know why genieuk can find it confusing,
it is advanced regex and he wants to ask someone who knows MORE about regex? ehr.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.