i want to update some links and data on a web page without the web page getting refreshed .....
please help me with this ....

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

you could

1) Write a java applet that does this

2) use javascript to "sleep" or count for a bit, then do an ajax load.

I'd opt for #2 as java in a browser makes me angry

Alternativley there is Adobe Flash but I myself prefer ajax and if you post some code then I shall try and embed the ajax.

thanks to both of u for the replies...

also can i do this without using AJAX , by using simple php

@cwarn23 - can u please help me with an example code .... as i have no idea about this...

Thanks.

thanks to both of u for the replies...

@cwarn23 - can u please help me with an example code .... as i have no idea about this...

Thanks.

So as for the options, as mentioned you don't want ajax which IMO would be the best solution. Then the next option would be to use Java or Flash. They are both binary files that search engines can't read but can do some amazing stuff. And since you are new to the situation I wouldn't recommend taking up a new language just for the one job so the last option would be to use iframes. Then you can just get the individual iframes to reload instead of the entire page. But again iframes just like java and flash are not search engine friendly. That is why ajax is recommended. But if you wish to continue without ajax then perhaps search about iframes. Also if you would like to follow the idea of Flash instead then Google "3d Flash animator" and you might find some interesting software.

Please go to any ready made free script of ajax and try to learn else post your code ,i will try to explain you

You can use Ajax Auto Updater function in your page..
Check the example of Auto updater with Ajax in the following url

http://demos111.mootools.net/Ajax_Timed

Thanks & Regards
Sai Prem
<snipped>

No, you can't. PHP is server-side only. It generates a web page, and gives it to the browser. Once that's happened, PHP has no more control over the functioning of the page. There is no way for PHP to directly "change" things without reloading the page.
The only way to use PHP, is by using AJAX as your "gateway" so to speak. With JavaScript you can manipulate the DOM, and AJAX allows you to send requests to a PHP file "behind the scenes" and insert the results of that request anywhere in the page. To the user, it appears as though the page was updated without reloading.

No, you can't. PHP is server-side only. It generates a web page, and gives it to the browser. Once that's happened, PHP has no more control over the functioning of the page. There is no way for PHP to directly "change" things without reloading the page.
The only way to use PHP, is by using AJAX as your "gateway" so to speak. With JavaScript you can manipulate the DOM, and AJAX allows you to send requests to a PHP file "behind the scenes" and insert the results of that request anywhere in the page. To the user, it appears as though the page was updated without reloading.

You can use Ajax, Java, or flash. :)

i want to update some links and data on a web page without the web page getting refreshed .....
please help me with this ....

u just use update panel on .aspx file and place the control u are clicking in it. It will just update the data without refreshing the whole page..as

<asp:updatePanel id="ID" runat ="Server">
<ContentTemplate>
YOUR CONTROL HERE
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>
try...

by using ajax we can update date with out refreshing the page . see w3shools ajax tutorials.

by using ajax we can update date with out refreshing the page . see w3shools ajax tutorials.

Maybe you don't realize that you can also do this with Java and flash as well

Member Avatar for diafol

u just use update panel on .aspx file and place the control u are clicking in it. It will just update the data without refreshing the whole page..as

<asp:updatePanel id="ID" runat ="Server">
<ContentTemplate>
YOUR CONTROL HERE
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>
try...

This is a php forum. He wants to use php. Listen to Kireol. Ajax is the way to go. You could use a library like prototype or jquery to deal with the ajax object - so you can use the simple object.Updater.

i want to add comment given by user into row of table without refreshing the PHP form.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.