I am working on this site which has a login page, it is up live and works fine from my computer but can't get it to work anywhere else.

This is the code:

<form>
<p><B><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="ARIAL">USER NAME :</B>
<input type="text" name="text2">
</p>

<p><B>PASSWORD :</B>
<input type="password" name="text1">
<input type="button" value="Login" name="Submit" onclick=javascript:validate(text2.value,"tekko",text1.value,"sydney") >
</p>

</form>
<script language = "javascript">

function validate(text1,text2,text3,text4)
{
if (text1==text2 && text3==text4)
load('success.html');
else
{
load('failure.html');
}
}
function load(url)
{
location.href=url;
}
</script>

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You don't need the "javascript:" in the onclick attribute. Other than that, I'd need to know more about the specific problem. You might need full URLs rather than just filenames for "success.html" and "failure.html". What error are you getting?

You don't need the "javascript:" in the onclick attribute. Other than that, I'd need to know more about the specific problem. You might need full URLs rather than just filenames for "success.html" and "failure.html". What error are you getting?

it's ok all sorted out now...

cheers
cynch

I can't help but ask. cynch, you do realize that this login script has zero security value, right? The username and password are written out to the browser and viewable in the source code.

yes i am aware of this but i am new to all of this and could not find anything that i could make work

cynch, for what it's worth, if your server supports PHP, I submitted what I think is an elegant code solution for managing user sessions and password-protecting PHP pages. It's here on Daniweb in the Code Snippets section.

http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet291.html

You do need to be a programmer, though, to incorporate the class. I've included a lot of comments and example usage in the code.

I am having the same problem. Do i have to make a 'Sign Up' page before the log in code works?

the code that i have is:

<form>
<p align="right"><font color="#FFFFFF" size="3" face="Baskerville Old Face">Username: 
<input type="text" name="text2"></font>
</p>
<p align="right"><font color="#FFFFFF" size="3" face="Baskerville Old Face"> Password:
<input type="password" name="text1"></font>
<br><br><input type="button" value="Log In" name="Submit" onclick=validate(text2.value,"Username 

#1",text1.value,"Password#1") >
</p>

</form>
<script language = "javascript">

function validate(text1,text2,text3,text4)
{
if (text1==text2 && text3==text4)
load('success.htm');
else 
{
load('failure.htm');
}
}
function load(url)
{
location.href=url;
}
</script>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.