if its not to much i just trouble can anyone offer any ideas as to how to investigate a string. i have 2 numbers
first number=806000842
second number=05234578
as u can see the two numbers are of different length with the first being 9 characters and the second being 8 characters. is there any function that is similar to the explode function where i can separate the characters and determine the value of the third character in the first number and the second character in the in the second number??

so far i have tried the explode function but that requires a separator and i have tried to create a function but that was not much success
can anyone help me out here
thanks

if its not to much i just trouble can anyone offer any ideas as to how to investigate a string. i have 2 numbers
first number=806000842
second number=05234578
as u can see the two numbers are of different length with the first being 9 characters and the second being 8 characters. is there any function that is similar to the explode function where i can separate the characters and determine the value of the third character in the first number and the second character in the in the second number??

so far i have tried the explode function but that requires a separator and i have tried to create a function but that was not much success
can anyone help me out here
thanks

This should do it:

<?php
$intNumOne="806000842"; //if we surrounds one with quotes, we should do it to all of them
$intNumTwo="05234578"; //surround with double quote to preserve the leading 0, can be casted back to int at any time

$valAt3rdOne = getCharAtLoc($intNumOne, 3); //get 6 from num one
$valAt3rdTwo = getCharAtLoc($intNumTwo, 3); //get 5 from num two

function getCharAtLoc($strString, $intLoc = 3)
{
	$intPadAmount = 9; //amount to pad strings and increase or decrease depending on length of values	

//pad the string with 0s to the left until total length = $intPadAmount
	$arrNumOneArray = str_split(str_pad($intNumOne, $intPadAmount, "0", STR_PAD_LEFT));

return $arrNumOneArray[$intLoc - 1];
}
?>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.