Hi all, im sure this will be areally quick solution for you masters out there,

Im trying to create a SELECT query but I am continually getting a parse error ?

$query="SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (user_id = '$_SESSION[SESS_MEMBER_ID]' AND request_id = '$profile_id') OR (request_id = '$_SESSION[SESS_MEMBER_ID]' AND user_id = '$profile_id')";
$result = mysql_query($query);
$row = mysql_num_rows($result);

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as to where I am going wrong

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by diafol

@rozendaa hi, thanks for your input,

When I use single quotes i get the following error message

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in C:\xampp\htdocs\www.website.com\members\addfriends.php on line 33

is it best to use INSERT INTO friends

or UPDATE friends SET

Sorry, to short an answer. The additional quotes were intended for php to proces. And for that to work you must use explicit concatenation.
The following should work.

$query="SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (user_id = '".$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']."' AND request_id = '$profile_id') OR (request_id = '".$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']."' AND user_id = '$profile_id')";
$result = mysql_query($query);
$row = mysql_num_rows($result);

Also give a try for this:

$query="SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (user_id = $_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID'] AND request_id = $profile_id) OR (request_id = $_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID'] AND user_id = $profile_id)";

When using array vars inside double quotes - brace {} them out:

$query="SELECT * FROM friends WHERE (user_id = '{$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']}' AND request_id = '$profile_id') OR (request_id = '{$_SESSION['SESS_MEMBER_ID']}' AND user_id = '$profile_id')";
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.