Little background info:
My site is gaming related; xbox 360, ps3, wii, pc an so on. I have big plans and ideas for the site. Since I can't afford vb right now, I've opted for php to code the site. The friend I did have to code the site was only able to get the forums up and running (php forums) before having to quit the project for personal reasons. I've had the idea for this community site for little over a year. I just recently regained my interest back into the project. Anyway, my piont is that it's ultimately left to me, to get this site up and running enough that it's something I can work with right now and build on it as it gains activity and so on.
I would like nothing more than to have someone code everything I need and want for my site. But I have nothing to ffer right now and would never ask someone to do it for free. I'm sure the web design/codeing field is somewhat competitive. I will gladly take any help or advice I can get through this process. So please bare with me through my many questions.
I know there are alot and some may seem redundance but I ask them cause I don't understand them. Also If you decide to answer any question(s), please place the question in "quote marks" and the answer below it so that I know which question is being answered. Thanx in advance for your help, time and patience with all of this.
Descriptions and Questions:
- Is MySQL good enough to keep up with and organize data so that the database system can send, store and retrieve data fast and effectively?
- I assume that the database will have to be coded specifically to handle w/e info I need stored in the database system?
- How is the database system coded exactly? Any specific type of coding, like php or w/e?
- Any good tutorials about database management and how to code it so that it performs the tasks I need when I need it?
- I can do website layout designs, tho I'm not an expert at it. I use PS CS4 to make them, I know the design has to be broken down into smaller, usable pieces. So when you code in php, I'm assuming theres a definite process on how to break the pieces down so when u code it, it all works together seemlessly? I'm just having the problem of figuring out when you do that, how to actually code it together.
- I know some html and that php is coded within that to provide the customizations the user wants and some of the framework for the site layout. However, putting the code together so they work "well" together and it gives me the outcome I want, is the problem I'm running into. Since I know nothing about php, I guess my question would be: Any advice, tuts, guides and so on that I could look at, that would help understand it's inner workings? I'm still browsing the site and checking out any tuts, advice and guides it offers. Besides the obvious, are there external sources anyone uses here that could be of some use?
- Is there such a thing as an easily codable webpage design?
- Are there any elements in web page design that may have potential problems or future upkeep problems? (java, flash etc.)
- I recently searched for free servers to get things started and eventually upgrade when the money is available. There are free template skins/layouts out there, how would I code it into the php forums I already have set up?
- I managed to load the files of the template onto the server BUT I don't know if it's possible to code that in or if I need to do something extra before the skin can be coded and used properly. If so, what needs to be done and how do I go about doing it?
- Within the vision for my site, there will be alot of self created features that will serve important purposes in the sites success. I know without alot of detail you may not be able to help but I will ask anyway. When codeing insite features, can php be used for most of it, mixed with flash, java and any other necessary coding to make it work properly?
- Is vb easier to code with than php? I've heard vb is but I can't afford it just yet. That is the main reason why I'm using php at the moment. Is php worth sticking with even when I can afford vb, or go with vb when at all possible?